Christmas in Cottleville

Christmas in Cottleville

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Ongoing Projects

We have a few projects that we're working on this week. 
  • This was the first time mowing............it took Jim about 3 1/2 hours on the tractor - but he got a good tan. 
  • I've been trimming trees - I should take pictures of our growing brush pile.  One of these days we'll have a giant bon fire (first we just need to buy a few more hoses in case it gets out of hand)   I have about 8 trees done and about 89 more to trim.  I really do want a chain saw for Mother's Day! 
  • Jim started work on the stairs.  The problem with the stairs is that each riser is a different height.  They vary from 6.5" to 8.75".  Also, we have this crazy kitty corner step on the landing (must have been a good design in  1984).   First I tore off the carpet.  Today Jim started installing lights on one side.  He has to take off all the treads and cut them off flush with the riser then reattach them.  Then he'll add the tread on top. The lower stairs need to be brought up, leveled, and treads replaced.  The landing needs to be rebuilt and Jim is building a newel post. 
  • I've also been trying to find things for the front porch:  The good news is we have a 50 foot front porch - the bad news is we have a 50 foot front porch. 

I found these planters at Gordman's - I wanted a pair but after going to 2 locations (they are more spread out than in Omaha) and calling the other 2, this is what I could come up with. 

So, we actually like our little projects and fixing things up.  We just need to work a little in between to finance our trips to Lowes. 

By the way, the "ugly tree" now has those helicopter things on it - I hope this turns into a "beautiful swan" soon (it's next on the list for a good trimming)

OOPS - I have to go - the air conditioner upstairs is leaking into the kitchen - another project!

1 comment:

cre8tive said...

It's looking really beautiful there!

Hey, your "ugly" tree looks like my Japanese Maple. Starts out really scrubby looking, but then gets very lacy burgundy colored leaves. Really is a nice tree....a bit messy in the fall - but, you won't even notice with 100 other trees on the property!

Love the postings.
Sis